Our Story

Our Story

Total Eyecare celebrated our 70th anniversary in 2016.

Our commitment to optometry in southern Tasmania began in Hobart in 1946 with the establishment of Ken Iredale’s first optometry practice on the corner of Elizabeth and Macquarie Streets in the old Colonial Mutual Life (CML) Building.

Over the years the small practice grew and merged with other small independent optometry practices to eventually become Total Eyecare Optometrists.

Past partners have included Brian Sims AM, Micheal Knipe AM, Bruce Palmer, Stephen Pereira and Brett Jenkinson.  Today the Partnership consists of Andrew Koch, Andrew Maver, Wesley Robertson, Bev Reid and Lee Baumwol.

The only two Tasmanian Optometrists ever to be awarded the Member of the Order of Australia Medal (AM) for services to Optometry were both Total Eyecare Optometrists, Brian Sims and Micheal Knipe.  This is a demonstration of a strong commitment to excellence in our field.

We now have nine locations in southern Tasmania: Hobart, Sandy Bay, Howrah, Kingston, New Town, Claremont, New Norfolk, Sorell and Huonville.

Total Eyecare has the finest team of experienced Optometrists, each with 10 years or more clinical experience.  We are the largest and most experienced independent provider of quality eyecare in Southern Tasmania.

Even though we are the longest serving eye care group in Tasmanian, our dedication to serving the public and providing the most comprehensive eyecare and service remains the same as it did in the beginning.

Company Milestones

1945 Ken Iredale starts his practice at 18 Elizabeth Street, Hobart.

1966 Brian Sims joins Ken Iredale in practice.

1976 Micheal Knipe joins Iredale and Sims.

1984 Practice is relocated to 99 Macquarie Street, Hobart.

1985 Ken Iredale retires.

1988 Andrew Maver joins the group with his Sandy Bay practice.

1989 The group now have full time practices at Macquarie Street, Sandy Bay and Kingston, whilst also visiting the Franklin District Hospital.

Stephen Pereira joins the partnership.

The group join Australia’s Independent Optometrists (now ProVision).

1990 The Visioncare optical laboratory is established.

1991 Huonville becomes a full time practice.

1992 Shoreline (Howrah) practice is opened.

1993 Bruce Palmer joins the partnership with his practice in Liverpool Street, Hobart.

New Norfolk practice becomes full time.

1994 There are now 7 full time practices, with visits to Cygnet and Franklin.

1995 Andrew Koch joins the partnership.

1999 New Town practice opened.

2000 The group takes the identity of Total Eyecare, and implements its first formal business plan.  Wesley Robertson joins the partnership.  The practice management structure is changed with the appointment of a CEO and Practice Coordinators in every location.

2001 Bev Reid amalgamates her Moonah practice with TECO and joins the partnership.

2002 Total Eyecare Optometrists participate as volunteers in the East Timor Eye program and have kept this up to the current day.

2008 Brett Jenkinson joins the partnership.

2013 Claremont and Sorell practices open

2015 Bruce Palmer retires and Lee Baumwol joins the partnership.

2015 Micheal Knipe honoured in Australia Day Awards with an AM award.